Senior Data Automation Engineer
UK - Remote
Telmar is the global leader in advertising and media solutions, providing the most influential agencies, media owners, and planners with innovative cloud-based tools to help create, plan and predict the most successful media campaigns. For more than 50 years, leading media and advertising agencies have relied on Telmar's innovative cross-media and data analytics solutions to create the most successful media campaigns worldwide. Telmar is a truly international company with over 25,000 users and 600 customers worldwide. Our team of media experts has a global presence with locations around the world including New York City, London, Toronto, Johannesburg, Paris, Amsterdam, Shanghai, Singapore, and Hong Kong. For more information about Telmar and its solutions, please visit: www.telmar.com
In the role of Senior Data Automation Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, expanding, optimizing full and partial automation of our data pipeline architecture. A key focus of this role is to optimize data flow and collection using large-scale workflow management platforms. This role will allow you to programmatically author, schedule, and monitor workflow/pipelines within tools like Apache Airflow.
S/he will be responsible for the design of architecture, build, and management of automated data pipelines built upon environments within the AWS cloud. This role will work with Python Engineers and Data Engineers to deliver secure, performant, and maintainable data automation. The ideal candidate will be able to pioneer ways of working which other team members can adopt.
Working closely with the Enterprise Architect you will be a crucial part of a dynamic agile Data function collaborating with a multidisciplinary team i.e. Python Engineers, Data Engineers, Product Management to name a few. For respondent survey pipeline building you will work to automate components of a manual load and then add these to the pipeline. The aim is to reduce manual intervention and increase processing speed, so that we can repeatedly process more data, at higher frequencies in the future. Where needed you may choose to add manual tasks to the automation workflow. This is an awesome opportunity to build cutting-edge data automation essential to the media planning industry. We are focused on delivering improvements to clients and deliver robust, high-quality solutions on AWS using the latest development practices.
What will you do:
- Use large scale workflow management platforms e.g. Airflow to extend and optimise our automated data ingestion platform for the automation of data loading routines
- Contribute individually to use Python to determine custom ETL processes in the design and implementation of data pipelines
- Use Python to convert, parse and manipulate data files using various database programs and utilities
- Advise on the ingestion of data from source systems, identify and resolve data quality and other related issues.
- Document functional state of current workflow for the wider Technical team e.g. about the automation pipeline, and utilities used within it.
- Investigate current data loading procedures, planning pipelines, and required steps in order to automate data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes
- Collaborate with the wider team in particular Infrastructure Engineers to deploy automation
- Use best-practice CI/CD methodologies to ensure that the build and deployment pipelines which are fast, robust, and secure.
- Coach and Mentor Engineers within the Data Automation team to provide the framework to support learning.
- Proficiency in the Python scripting languages
- Experience in large-scale implementation of workflow management platforms.
- Prior Experience of Apache Airflow is highly desirable e.g. understand the concept of DAGs (Directed Acyclic Graph) and Operators to schedule jobs
- Prior experience with data analysis and data warehousing and working with customer data platforms.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable “big data” data stores.
- Experience in manipulating, processing, extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Be able to place security as a foremost primary concern in the architecture, secure coding, build, and deployment of solutions
- Experience in performing root cause analysis on internal/external data and processes.
- Technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Proficiency in the understanding of GitHub for source code repositories
- Knowledge of popular Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure & services e.g. EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda
- Excellent Linux scripting skills
- Experience with JIRA and be able to define technical acceptance criteria for stories
- Passionate about the power of data to drive better business outcomes for customers.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a distributed working environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to estimate the effort of own tasks and those of others in expertise domain
- Organized, detail-oriented, and deadline-driven
- A champion of good code quality and architectural practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work proactively and as a team player
- Ability to work efficiently and productively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Flexible working
- Medical cover
- DiSC Assessment (improve teamwork, communication, and productivity)
- We provide each Telmar employee with a framework for holistic and regular 360° feedback as well as for personal and professional development, enabling you to master daily challenges and continuously develop your own skills further via self-learning tools and formal training
- Employee Assistance Program (24/7)
- Weekly open-door meeting with CEO and the HR Team
- Summer Team Building Events
- Christmas Parties
- Office gatherings (when C-19 restrictions allow it)
- Random coffee dates every other week
- Meeting free Friday
We are on an ambitious global journey at Telmar, no two days are ever the same and we’re therefore looking for people who can adapt quickly to this ever-evolving environment. In return, our multinational; best-in-class team will support your desire to grow as an individual and challenge you in new roles. We are proud of the team and believe that our diversity has made us more successful. We are therefore keen to recruit candidates from all backgrounds. Telmar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type.
OUR MOST VALUABLE INTELLIGENCE IS NOT ARTIFICIAL